Kc vs Kp vs Kc+/- vs K

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Kc vs Kp vs Kc+/- vs K

Postby 605775499 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:37 pm

Okay so in lecture it was said that Kc is for solid-only, and Kp is for gas-only.
1. What if solids are included?
2. What if a combination of phases are included? ie solute in solvent
3. Some of the practice problems had Kc for a gas-only problem- is any conversion necessary? How would one do that?
4. If K only is given, should I assume Kc, or Kp, or base it off the problem? (I remember my TA saying Kp so I was confused)
5. In the textbook, certain K's are given for certain temperatures. One is labeled as K and the other is Kc +/-. What does that mean?

Layla Qumsieh 3C

Re: Kc vs Kp vs Kc+/- vs K

Postby Layla Qumsieh 3C » Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:27 pm

Pure solids and pure liquids are not included in Kc, nor Kp. You can use the ideal gas law to convert from partial pressure to concentration (PV=nRT, where n/V = concentration). In the textbook, K applies to Kp and Kc is just Kc. Hope this helps

Daniel Lee 2J

Re: Kc vs Kp vs Kc+/- vs K

Postby Daniel Lee 2J » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:27 pm

To answer your third question, Kc can apply to gases and not just aqueous solutions, because they too can have concentrations of moles per liter. Therefore, if your given values are in units such as M, no conversion is necessary. If you really wanted to convert to partial pressures, you could use PV=nRT and solve for P.

Return to “Equilibrium Constants & Calculating Concentrations”