Q or K given both partial pressures and concentrations

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Brandon Ignacio 2J

Q or K given both partial pressures and concentrations

Postby Brandon Ignacio 2J » Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:45 pm

I've come across a couple of questions where it will give a mix of partial pressures and concentrations of molecules in a reaction (but not all of one or the other). For example, in the reaction A + B -> C say you were given the partial pressure of A and the concentrations of B and C. How would you go about finding Q/K for this problem?

Re: Q or K given both partial pressures and concentrations

Postby 906112539 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:06 pm

Brandon Ignacio 2J wrote:I've come across a couple of questions where it will give a mix of partial pressures and concentrations of molecules in a reaction (but not all of one or the other). For example, in the reaction A + B -> C say you were given the partial pressure of A and the concentrations of B and C. How would you go about finding Q/K for this problem?

You would calculate Q/K the using partial pressure the same way you would calculate for Q/K with molar concentrations. K=[(PA)(PB)]/(C).

Ashwin Babu 1I

Re: Q or K given both partial pressures and concentrations

Postby Ashwin Babu 1I » Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:25 pm

You could use the ideal gas law to convert partial pressure to concentration and vice versa. Concentration can be understood as n/V, so the ideal gas law is P = cRT where 'c' is concentration. To solve for partial pressure given concentration, use P = cRT, and to solve for concentration given partial pressure, use c = P/RT.

Return to “Non-Equilibrium Conditions & The Reaction Quotient”