Temperature

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

sid bauer

Temperature

Postby sid bauer » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:47 pm

I'm having a difficult time understanding how equilibrium shift from temperature. Are there any easy concept to remember for solving these problems? Let me know if I need to clarify

Timothy Kao 1B

Re: Temperature

Postby Timothy Kao 1B » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:55 pm

I found reading the review of the properties of gases in the course reader (starts on page 122) to be helpful. The way I think of equilibrium in terms of change in temperature is with relation to the molecules. If the temperature increases in a system, then the molecules will move faster. As a result, they will begin to separate from each other, therefore increasing the volume. I recommend giving the review section a read.

sid bauer

Postby sid bauer » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:40 pm

thanks so much!

CameronJohari1J
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby CameronJohari1J » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:18 pm

Think of the reaction based energy change, endothermic or exothermic. If the reaction is endothermic then energy can be treated as a species on the right side of the chemical equation. If the reaction is exothermic then energy can be treated as a species on the left side of the chemical equation. If heat is added and the reaction is exothermic or if heat is removed and the reaction is endothermic the equilibrium will shift to the left. If heat is added and the reaction is endothermic or if heat is removed and the reaction is exothermic the equilibrium will shift to the right.

StephanieRusnak

Postby StephanieRusnak » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:39 pm

if a reaction is endothermic, then it requires heat so if you think of heat as a reactant then it makes sense that it will shift towards the products when u increase heat

if a reaction is exothermic then think of heat as a product, increasing heat will make it shift towards the reactants

Return to “Non-Equilibrium Conditions & The Reaction Quotient”