ICE Tables

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jennifer Guzman 4C

ICE Tables

Postby Jennifer Guzman 4C » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:07 pm

Can someone explain how to use ICE Tables or possibly post a link to a video that explains it? Thank you!

Rachel-Weisz3C

Re: ICE Tables

Postby Rachel-Weisz3C » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:08 pm

I think the ICE table is just a way to organize the work and to go from Initial molarity(I) to Change in molarity(C) to the Equilibrium Molarity(E). I found this video helpful with explaining and showing an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDr5DMiJ1j8

Aria Soeprono 2F

Postby Aria Soeprono 2F » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:09 pm

An ICE table is an easy way to organize the information needed to calculate equilibrium composition of a system. Start by identifying the components of the reaction (reactants and products) and list them. These will make up the columns of the ICE table. The rows are made up of initial molarity (I), Change (C), and equilibrium molarity (E). Then, fill out the table with any information that the problem gives you, concentrations of the components. This will either be in atm or mol/L, but make sure whatever units you use it is the same. To solve, you may need to add or subtract depending on which concentrations are given. If it tells you how much the concentration changes, add this value to the initial molarity. If it give the equilibrium molarity of the reactants, you subtract from the initial molarity to get the equilibrium molarity of the products. I hope that this helps!

KatrinaPho_2I

Postby KatrinaPho_2I » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:17 pm

This video should help you understand the basics of the ICE Tables by giving you a few examples: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ0KNQ5-KaI

The ICE tables help you calculate concentrations when dealing with reactions in equilibrium.

Return to “Non-Equilibrium Conditions & The Reaction Quotient”