Determining Which side is favored

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Victoria Luu - 1C

Determining Which side is favored

Postby Victoria Luu - 1C » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:36 pm

Why is it that when Q<K, the forward reaction is favored? Is it because there are more reactants that will be turned into products as the reaction continues?

almaochoa2D

Re: Determining Which side is favored

Postby almaochoa2D » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:39 pm

yes since there is more reactant more product will be formed.

Michelle Nwufo 2G

Postby Michelle Nwufo 2G » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:03 pm

Yes, that is true and when q>k, the reverse reaction is favored and there are more products, resulting in the production of reactants. However, I am having a hard time understanding why the value of Q matters when determining which direction a reaction will proceed.

Anjali 4A

Postby Anjali 4A » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:37 pm

To determine which direction a reaction will proceed, we have to calculate the reaction quotient (Q) at any time during reaction and compare it to K. If Q<K there are more reactants than products, therefore more products will be formed and the forward reaction is favored.

Angela Grant 1D

Postby Angela Grant 1D » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:45 pm

Yes, since Q and K are the same ratio ([products]/[reactants]) that means the [products] would have to decrease, or the [reactants] would have to increase, in order for Q to be less than K. Therefore, there will be more reactants yielding products so that the forward reaction is favored.

NatBrown1I

Postby NatBrown1I » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:47 pm

If Q>K then there will be more products than reactants and therefore the reverse reaction will be favoured
If Q<K then there will be more reactants than products and therefore the forward reaction will be favoured

Return to “Non-Equilibrium Conditions & The Reaction Quotient”