ICE table and Q

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Parth Mungra

ICE table and Q

Postby Parth Mungra » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:29 am

Does using ICE table only work for finding concentrations at equilibrium? Essentially, can you use the ICE table for Q?

Seohyun Park 1L

Re: ICE table and Q

Postby Seohyun Park 1L » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:45 am

ICE tables are only used to find concentrations at equilibrium and thus is related to K. Q gives ratios of the concentrations of products/reactants not at equilibrium.

gwynlu1L

Postby gwynlu1L » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:47 am

ICE tables are almost always used to find the equilibrium concentrations, hence the E standing for Equilibrium in ICE (Initial, Change, Equilibrium). Questions involving Q would be giving you initial concentrations and asking you to determine which direction the rxn will proceed, and then possibly using those concentrations to do an ICE table.

Madeline Motamedi 4I

Postby Madeline Motamedi 4I » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:34 pm

So for your reaction, you can find the formula for your Ka. Once you set up your ice table with your initial values you can grab those values and plug them into your equation for Ka (concentration of products over concentration of reactants). Since your Q value tells you the initial (or current) state of the system, you plug in the values from the first row of your ice table into your equation.

Diana Bibireata 1B

Postby Diana Bibireata 1B » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:26 pm

You use ICE tables to find the concentrations at equilibrium because the whole point of an ICE table is to show the initial concentration, the change in concentration, and the equilibrium concentration. To find Q you just find the ratio of products to reactants at any point during the reaction.

NatBrown1I

Postby NatBrown1I » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:09 pm

For ice tables, the goal is to find out what the concentrations are at equilibrium, knowing that the reaction is at equilibrium. You calculate Q in order to find out whether or not the reaction is at equilibrium.

g orloff 1J

Postby g orloff 1J » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:15 pm

ICE tables are used to find the concentrations of the reaction at equilibrium. Q tells whether the reaction was at equilibrium or not at equilibrium.

Return to “Non-Equilibrium Conditions & The Reaction Quotient”