Effects of Concentration on Equilibrium

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Cole Woulbroun 1J

Effects of Concentration on Equilibrium

Postby Cole Woulbroun 1J » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:50 am

If the concentration of a product or reactant is changed while a reaction is in equilibrium, will the reaction then be temporarily shifted out of equilibrium?

Brian_Ho_2B

Re: Effects of Concentration on Equilibrium

Postby Brian_Ho_2B » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:55 am

Yes, by altering the concentrations of either reactants or products or both while the reaction is at equilibrium, it will be temporarily thrown out of balance. However, Le Chatelier's principle states that a reaction thrown out of equilibrium will try to minimize the effect of changing the concentration, so give the reaction some time, and eventually it goes back to its equilibrium state.

Rita Chen 1B

Postby Rita Chen 1B » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:59 am

I believe so. I think it’s also important to note that reactions are continually reacting, so if something is changed, it will want to go back to its original equilibrium state.

KaleenaJezycki_1I
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby KaleenaJezycki_1I » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:05 pm

Cole 1J wrote:If the concentration of a product or reactant is changed while a reaction is in equilibrium, will the reaction then be temporarily shifted out of equilibrium?

yes, changing the concentration of the reactant or products will temporarily offset the equilibrium making it shift to the right or left because when a reaction is at equilibrium the concentrations are not changing. The reaction will not be altered to much from equilibrium though and it will quickly make its way back to equilibria due to Le Chatelier's Principle that states "chemical reactions adjust so as to minimize the effect of any changes". This is explained clearly in Lavelle's modules posted on his website about Chemical Equilibria, I believe it's part 2 of the two chemical equilibria modules

Postby 805097738 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:24 pm

yes it will be temporarily shifted

Jainam Shah 4I

Postby Jainam Shah 4I » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:12 am

Yes, any change in the concentration of either the reactants and product will shift the equilibrium towards either the left or the right for a temporary period of time. Since both the forward and reverse reactions are happening simultaneously the equilibrium will shift back and after some time equilibrium will be restored. You can also think of this in terms of the reaction quotient and K.

Kayli Choy 2F

Postby Kayli Choy 2F » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:24 am

Furthermore, if the concentrations of reactants are increased, the equilibrium will shift to the right and create more product to compensate, and if the concentrations of products are increased, the equilibrium will shift to the left and create more reactants to compensate. As stated above, this is due to Le Chatlier's Principle.

Return to “Non-Equilibrium Conditions & The Reaction Quotient”