Reaction Quotient > Equilibrium Constant

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

WYacob_2C

Reaction Quotient > Equilibrium Constant

Postby WYacob_2C » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:24 pm

In the video module, Lavelle says that when Q>K, the reaction hasn't reached equilibrium yet because there is too much product, so it goes from right to left (reverse reaction) to reach equilibrium. My question is: how is it possible to have more product than reactant without going against the idea of having a limiting reactant? Thank you in advance.

LBacker_2E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Reaction Quotient > Equilibrium Constant

Postby LBacker_2E » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:43 pm

I think it is kind of like thinking of it in terms of the reverse reaction (so in this case the products are acting like reactants). But, I also don't think the limiting reactant concept really applies because you are trying to reach equilibrium (instead of trying to complete a reaction to completion, where all of one reactant is used up).

Giselle Littleton 1F

Postby Giselle Littleton 1F » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:13 pm

I think of it in terms of the reaction needing to accommodate the decrease in reactant concentration in relation to the concentration of the products, so it needs more reactants so that the equilibrium constant is retained.

Skyllar Kuppinger 1F

Postby Skyllar Kuppinger 1F » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:17 pm

Even if there is a limiting reactant, it is still possible to have more product than reactant. What happens is the majority of the reactant (limiting or not) is converted into product, meaning that more of the reacting molecules turned into product than has stayed as reactant.

Kassidy Ford 1I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Kassidy Ford 1I » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:42 pm

Since the reaction goes both ways you can think of products being a reactant for the reverse reaction. This helps me think about it because you can just write the reaction with both

Return to “Non-Equilibrium Conditions & The Reaction Quotient”