confused about ice table

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

bellaha4F

confused about ice table

Postby bellaha4F » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:57 pm

can someone explain to me what an ice table is and how we use it?

Izzie Capra 2E

Re: confused about ice table

Postby Izzie Capra 2E » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:01 pm

An ICE table is a method to keep track of initial and final concentrations during an equilibrium reaction. You will write down all your reactants and products and mark their initial concentrations (the I in ICE). Then you will look for the change, which is denoted by x. Reactants will lose concentration and products will gain. You must look at the balanced coefficients in this step (the C in ICE). Then you will be able to solve for concentrations at equilibrium (E in ICE). Basically, you can use this to solve for a final concentration or understand better what is exactly happening in an equilibrium reaction.

DanielTalebzadehShoushtari2A

Postby DanielTalebzadehShoushtari2A » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:05 pm

Izzie Capra 2E wrote:An ICE table is a method to keep track of initial and final concentrations during an equilibrium reaction. You will write down all your reactants and products and mark their initial concentrations (the I in ICE). Then you will look for the change, which is denoted by x. Reactants will lose concentration and products will gain. You must look at the balanced coefficients in this step (the C in ICE). Then you will be able to solve for concentrations at equilibrium (E in ICE). Basically, you can use this to solve for a final concentration or understand better what is exactly happening in an equilibrium reaction.

This is a good explanation. I'd like to add that we usually use the ice table when dealing with the equilibrium constant. The equilibrium concentrations (E) can be plugged into the calculation for K

Daniel Toscano 1L

Postby Daniel Toscano 1L » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:15 pm

if you are still having trouble understanding, I would recommend looking at the 4th module on the 14B webstie (Chemical Equilibrium Part 3 Video Module) or youtube.

KnarGeghamyan1B

Postby KnarGeghamyan1B » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:20 pm

ICE stands for the Initial concentrations, the Change in each, and the Equilibrium concentrations. So lets say a gas that is a reactant in the equation has a concentration of 1M, and in the balanced equation has a coefficient of 2, you'd have 1-2x in the final equilibrium row. Once you have calculated this mini expression for all of the reactants and products, treat the arrows as an equal sign and solve for x to get the equilibrium concentrations.

Jocelyn Thorp 1A

Postby Jocelyn Thorp 1A » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:22 pm

Izzie Capra 2E wrote:An ICE table is a method to keep track of initial and final concentrations during an equilibrium reaction. You will write down all your reactants and products and mark their initial concentrations (the I in ICE). Then you will look for the change, which is denoted by x. Reactants will lose concentration and products will gain. You must look at the balanced coefficients in this step (the C in ICE). Then you will be able to solve for concentrations at equilibrium (E in ICE). Basically, you can use this to solve for a final concentration or understand better what is exactly happening in an equilibrium reaction.

thank you for this explanation!! I was very confused and didn't think we'd gone over it in lecture

Return to “Non-Equilibrium Conditions & The Reaction Quotient”