ICE tables and the quadratic equation  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

romina_4C

ICE tables and the quadratic equation

Postby romina_4C » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:37 pm

I remember in high school we learned that when doing ICE tables and having a the final concentration (in the ice table) being something like 3.00 - x, we would just approximate it to 3.00 or something like that. Is there any situation we would apply that approximation to in class or are we only using the quadratic equation to solve for x ?

Tanmay Singhal 1H

Re: ICE tables and the quadratic equation

Postby Tanmay Singhal 1H » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:27 pm

I believe you use the quadratic equation

PranaviKolla2B

Re: ICE tables and the quadratic equation

Postby PranaviKolla2B » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:27 pm

How exactly do you use ICE tables?

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 435 times

Re: ICE tables and the quadratic equation  [ENDORSED]

Postby Chem_Mod » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:49 pm

romina_4C wrote:I remember in high school we learned that when doing ICE tables and having a the final concentration (in the ice table) being something like 3.00 - x, we would just approximate it to 3.00 or something like that. Is there any situation we would apply that approximation to in class or are we only using the quadratic equation to solve for x ?

You can make the "small x approximation" when your equilibrium constant is very small ie <10^-5. This is because the value of x will be very small compared to the other initial concentrations; we check this by using the 5% rule--the x value you obtain after solving must be less than 5% of the initial concentration. We mainly use this to simplify cubic equations into quadratic equations so we can use the quadratic formula to solve for x instead of trying to solve a cubic equation. You could use this equation with the quadratic equations as well, but keep in mind that this shortcut is not as accurate as using the quadratic formula.

Return to “Non-Equilibrium Conditions & The Reaction Quotient”