definition of a buffer

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Sue Bin Park 2I

definition of a buffer

Postby Sue Bin Park 2I » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:45 pm

what exactly is the practical definition of a buffer? wouldn't any solution of a weak acid/base be a buffer because the acid/base and its conjugate would exist in solution? or am i getting this all confused lol

Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: definition of a buffer

Postby 505306205 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:03 pm

A buffer is a solution that contains both conjugates. In the ICE table, therefore, the starting concentration for the conjugate acid/base is not 0.

Jordan Young 2J

Postby Jordan Young 2J » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:22 pm

A buffer has a weak acid/base and its conjugate so that it can thus resist a chance in pH. You want to have large enough concentrations of both so that it can react if an acid or base is added to the solution

Joowon Seo 3A

Postby Joowon Seo 3A » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:24 pm

A buffer has a weak acid/base with its conjugate. The conjugate can take/give a proton in solution, so it can resist a change in pH.

aishwarya_atmakuri

Postby aishwarya_atmakuri » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:32 pm

A buffer is a solution that resists changes in pH and it’s made by mixing a weak acid/base with its conjugate.

Hussain Chharawalla 1G

Postby Hussain Chharawalla 1G » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:36 pm

If you use a weak acid or weak base, wouldn't it's conjugate be a strong base/acid? So if the buffer demands equal concentrations of weak acid and base, how would it be created?

Sue Bin Park 2I

Postby Sue Bin Park 2I » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:47 am

Hussain Chharawalla 1G wrote:If you use a weak acid or weak base, wouldn't it's conjugate be a strong base/acid? So if the buffer demands equal concentrations of weak acid and base, how would it be created?

i'm pretty sure the conjugate seesaw is only relative; if the acid is weakER then its conjugate base is strongER, etc. irl, if you have a weak acid with a conjugate base that is categorized as strong, it would actually mean the weak acid basically doesn't deprotonate. vice versa with a weak base and strong acid. HCl is a strong acid - its conjugate base Cl- ion doesn't protonate period.

it's like a spectrum
strong acid <--B---A----neutral H2O-B---A-----> strong base
a moderately weak acid/moderately weak conjugate base pairing (A and A) will fall equidistant left and right of the neutral H2O centerpoint. if a weak acid is strongER then the acid will be farther from the center and pull the conjugate base closer to the neutral center point, categorizing it as a weaker base (B and B). if an acid is so strong that it is a literal strong acid, that is it completely dissociates, then that means the conjugate base is pulled into the center point (practically) and is effectively neutral in solution/doesn't protonate more than just H2O would on its own.

this push and pull is a result of the fact that the Ka and Kb have to multiply into the Kw constant always.

Leila_4G

Postby Leila_4G » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:52 pm

Also, I'm not sure about the presence of a salt when making a buffer. Can someone please explain that to me? Thanks!

Emil Velasco 1H

Postby Emil Velasco 1H » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:41 pm

A buffer solution is an aqueous solution consisting of a mixture of a weak acid and its conjugate base, or vice versa. Its pH changes very little when a small amount of strong acid or base is added to it.

Return to “Non-Equilibrium Conditions & The Reaction Quotient”