Temperature Given in Problems

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Amanda Bueno-Kling
Been upvoted: 1 time

Temperature Given in Problems

Postby Amanda Bueno-Kling » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:27 pm

A lot of the problems give a temperature in them, but I don't know when we have to take it into account and when we don't. When reactions take place at the same temperature, like for example in #7 and #8 on the Week 2 Sapling the Ka and Kb take place under the same conditions, I've been told we can disregard the temperature. When would the given temperatures be important in doing calculations?

Natalie 3k

Re: Temperature Given in Problems

Postby Natalie 3k » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:30 pm

Hi, I've been kind of confused about this too. I was just thinking that they give us the temperature so we can assume the phases of the given substances are gasses so we can include them in the calculation, but I'm not 100% sure. Hopefully someone else known for sure!

Rose_Malki_3G

Postby Rose_Malki_3G » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:32 pm

I believed that knowing the actual temperature isn't necessarily important for the calculations we have been doing but it is important to know if temperature has changed or not because if temperature changes, then the kb/ka value will change as well.

Alexis Sanft 1E

Postby Alexis Sanft 1E » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:35 pm

Amanda Bueno-Kling wrote:A lot of the problems give a temperature in them, but I don't know when we have to take it into account and when we don't. When reactions take place at the same temperature, like for example in #7 and #8 on the Week 2 Sapling the Ka and Kb take place under the same conditions, I've been told we can disregard the temperature. When would the given temperatures be important in doing calculations?

I think for the most part we have been using 25 degrees celsius as our standard temperature in calculations, and for the problems on Sapling this week they all were that temperature. As long as it says that temperature, I do not think you have to worry about doing anything with the temperature.

RaniyaFeroz_1E

Postby RaniyaFeroz_1E » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:37 pm

I think we can just disregard the temperature while doing calculations because they don't affect anything. When the temperature changes, however, so does the equilibrium constant but we haven't come across any problems like that.

Amanda Bueno-Kling
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Amanda Bueno-Kling » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:41 pm

Thank you everyone! I am assuming later we will see problems where the temperature changes and thus has an effect? I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something at this time. I appreciate all your replies.

Postby 305572629 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:43 pm

I think we’re supposed to just assume temperature is 25 degrees Celsius because our calculations don’t really involve temperature right now.

Return to “Non-Equilibrium Conditions & The Reaction Quotient”