percent protonation/deprotonation

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Nina Fukui 2J

Postby Nina Fukui 2J » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:45 am

What are the differences between the two???

Isabelle Hales 1J
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: percent protonation/deprotonation

Postby Isabelle Hales 1J » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:20 am

Hi. I am a bit confused on this as well but I believe the difference between the two is in terms of which substance you are describing. If you are describing a proton being added to a base to form the conjugate acid, then you would use the term protonation. However, if you are describing an acid losing a proton to form its conjugate base, it would be deprotonation. Hope this helps (and correct me if I'm wrong).

Grecia Velasco 1G

Postby Grecia Velasco 1G » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:22 am

Nina Fukui 2J wrote:What are the differences between the two???

% deprotonation = used for acids bc acids deprotonate [give off H+]
% protonation = used for bases bc bases protonate [take H+]

Calculated a similar way, but describes either acids or bases.

Devin Patel 2D

Postby Devin Patel 2D » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:05 am

Percent protonation is usually calculated when dealing with bases and the Kb constant, and percent deprotonation would be when dealing with acids and the Ka constant. This is because acids can give H+, thus deprotonated, and bases will accept the H+ and get protonated.

Alexandra Ahlschlager 1L

Postby Alexandra Ahlschlager 1L » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:23 am

% deprotonation refers to when acids donate an H+ ion to water, as they are losing that proton. % protonation is the opposite and refers to bases when they are gaining a proton. You can calculate these two values by dividing the H3O+ or OH- concentrations at equilibrium by the initial concentration of the acid/base. (and then multiply by 100%). Hope this helps!

Yu Jin Kwon 3L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Yu Jin Kwon 3L » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:16 pm

Just to add a little bit more clarity to how these two compare with ionization, ionization is an umbrella term for a molecule turning into its ion counterpart (for acids and bases, deprotonating and protonating respectively as the other comments have said. I hope this helps!

Sophia Wendin 3L

Postby Sophia Wendin 3L » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:32 pm

Percent protonation applies to bases and percent deprotonation applies to acids. Acids are proton donors, so we want to see what percent of the acid is deprotonated. Bases receive protons, so we want to see what percent is protonated.

Lung Sheng Liang 3J

Postby Lung Sheng Liang 3J » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:33 pm

Hi, percent protonation is used for bases and deprotonation is used for acids.

Justin Lin 1B

Postby Justin Lin 1B » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:39 pm

When looking at an acid, we are dealing with deprotonation because a proton is being removed from the acid. We use protonation for bases because it refers to the addition of a proton, which a base does by adding a hydrogen

SashaAnand2J

Postby SashaAnand2J » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:05 pm

Hi Nina,
I'm a little confused on this concept as well, but I believe the difference is whether an acid or base is dissociating. Deprotonation refers to when an acid is dissociated and releases H3O+ into a solvent. Percent deprotonation is [H+]/[HA] x 100. Protonation refers to when a base is dissociated and creates some substance BH+, in which the substance "pulls" an H+ from the water. Percent protonation is [BH+]/[B] x 100.

Rachel Kho Disc 2G

Postby Rachel Kho Disc 2G » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:11 pm

What helped me when I was also confused about this concept was remembering from Chem 14A that a Bronsted acid is one that donates a proton, and a Bronsted base is one that receives the proton. So the only difference between deprotonization and protonization is whether or not the substance in question is an acid or base. Both are calculated similarly, but deprotonization refers to acid and protonization refers to bases.

Earl Garrovillo 2L

Postby Earl Garrovillo 2L » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:24 pm

They're basically the same thing but deprotonation is used for acids while protonation is used for bases. If you recall, H3O+ is sometimes substituted with H+ (or a proton). Since acids give away protons when dissociated, we use %deprotonation with them. Meanwhile bases accept protons so we use %protonation with them,

Geethika Janga 1L

Postby Geethika Janga 1L » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:26 pm

We use the term deprotonation when talking about acids because they donate H+ ions and protonation is used with bases when they accept the H+ ions.

Moura Girgis 1F

Postby Moura Girgis 1F » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:31 pm

Percent deprotonation is used for acids [H+] and percent protonation is used for bases [OH-]

Diana Aguilar 3H

Postby Diana Aguilar 3H » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:08 pm

Thank you everyone for the explantions, they were really helpful since this was a concept I was also confused about!

Riya Sawhney 1C

Postby Riya Sawhney 1C » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:21 pm

Percent protonation and percent deprotonation are calculated in the same fashion. Acids give off H+ (protons), which is deprotonation. Bases are protonated, as they pick up H+. So we use percent deprotonation for acids and percent protonation for bases.

Return to “Non-Equilibrium Conditions & The Reaction Quotient”