Reaction Quotient Predictions

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

IsabelMurillo3K

Reaction Quotient Predictions

Postby IsabelMurillo3K » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:16 pm

Hey guys!
I was wondering if someone could explain how we can use Q to predict the direction of a nonequilibrium reaction?
Thank you!

Aanya Tanti 3C

Re: Reaction Quotient Predictions

Postby Aanya Tanti 3C » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:19 pm

If Q>Kc then there is too much product being formed (forward reaction) and the rxn will shift to the left. If Q<Kc not enough product is being formed and rxn will shift to the right.

JonathanM

Postby JonathanM » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:15 pm

Hey! I know someone has answered this question but I thought I could add how I think about it and remember which way it goes. If Q>K, that means that if the denominator of both were the same, the numerator of Q would have to be bigger than K's, and so to reach K, products have to be converted into reactants. I do the same thing but the other way around when Q<K. If you hold the denominators constant, the numerator of Q is smaller than K, and so reactants have to be converted to products to reach equilibrium. Hope this helps!

Mina Tadros 3L

Postby Mina Tadros 3L » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:33 pm

If Q>K, then the reaction will progress towards the reactants since more products formed. If Q<K, the reaction will progress towards the products since there are more reactants present.

Nathan Lao 2I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Nathan Lao 2I » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:17 pm

I like to write the value of K in comparison to Q. The reason is that you can essentially visualize the greater than/less than sign as an arrow that points to which side it will shift.

K < Q means it will shift towards reactant (I visualize it as K <-- Q, arrow points left so reaction shifts to the left)
K > Q means it will shift towards products (I visualize it as K --> Q, arrow points right so reaction shifts to the right)

This is what works for me, even though most TAs/UAs write Q first.

Kiana Tashakori 1D

Postby Kiana Tashakori 1D » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:53 pm

You could use Q to predict the direction of the reaction because if its greater than Kc, then the reaction will shift towards the reactants because this means that too much product is formed. If Q is less than Kc, then the reaction will shift towards the products since not enough is being formed.

Valerie Doan 3I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Valerie Doan 3I » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:13 pm

Just a reminder because I saw a lot of textbook problems on this concept in conjunction with ICE tables. Remember if you're given the non-equilibrium concentrations, calculate for Q first to determine which way the rxn will proceed. Then, do the ICE table making sure to label the correct molecules as decreasing concentration (-x) or increasing concentration (+x). We have done a lot of problems in which the reactant is losing concentration while the products start initially with zero concentration and then increase, but we have to make sure to compare Q with K first to determine direction.

Return to “Non-Equilibrium Conditions & The Reaction Quotient”