Endo and Exothermic

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Katryn Heine 3A
Been upvoted: 1 time

Endo and Exothermic

Postby Katryn Heine 3A » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:39 am

Can someone explain to me why K increases and reaction favors product formation for endothermic reactions?

Lauren Brotman 2F

Re: Endo and Exothermic

Postby Lauren Brotman 2F » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:55 am

This only happens as a response to temperature increase. An endothermic reaction requires heat to form product. So if temperature increases, the reaction will adjust to minimize the effect, and will shift to make more product, using up heat. K will increase when there is more product since K=[P]/[R].

Harrison Lin 2J

Postby Harrison Lin 2J » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:06 am

What helps me understand these problems is denoting which side of the given equation is hot and cold.

For an exothermic reaction, the products would be hot and the reactants would be cold.
For an endothermic reaction, the products would be cold and the reactants would be hot.

Therefore, when there is an increase in temperature, the equilibrium will always favor the cold side (the side that absorbs heat).

Although this method doesn't really help you understand the meaning behind it, it is always a good reminder to make sure I'm doing the problem correctly.

Jeffrey Yang 3I

Postby Jeffrey Yang 3I » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:20 am

As Lauren said, there has to be a change in temperature first to increase K for endothermic reactions. As there is more temperature, more heat can be "absorbed, while that isn't the most accurate way to describe the situation. In other words, I think because this heat is in the system, the reaction will shift to the colder side.

Postby 505706331 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:20 am

with equilibrium problems I like to think of the reaction as a scale. if something is added to one side, the other side must increase as well to balance it out. with endothermic reactions, heat is added to the reactant side so as a result, more products will form, favoring the products side. with the equilibrium constant, it is products/reactants. as a result of more products, the equilibrium constant would also be greater.

Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby 105605391 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:24 am

Since endothermic reactions require heat to proceed, adding more heat will raise the K value and increase the production of products because it is a required catalyst for the reaction. This would be found to be the opposite for exothermic reactions that release heat as they preceded, as adding heat would drive a higher rate of backward reaction at equilibrium. Hope this helps !

Jocelyn Chin 1K
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Jocelyn Chin 1K » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:28 am

Hi! For endothermic reactions, heat must be absorbed. I like to think that heat is a reactant since it's on the side of the reactants. When you increase temperature, you increase heat, and since heat is a reactant, the reaction will shift towards the products side. Since K is a ratio of products over reactants, if you have more product, K will be larger.

Nomi Heidari-Bateni 2K

Postby Nomi Heidari-Bateni 2K » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:15 pm

In an endothermic reaction, heat is needed to form products. Thus, with a higher temperature there is more heat so the reaction reacts by shifting towards the products. With the reaction shifted towards the products, I believe [P]/[R] is greater so K is greater

Postby 905756606 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:51 pm

Endothermic reactions absorb energy while exothermic reactions release energy. If temperature is increased, the system will try to counteract this change (Le Chatelier's principle) by "removing" this energy through the endothermic reaction. If the endothermic reaction is the forward reaction, this means equilibrium will shift to the RHS in favour of products. If the concentration of products increases, so will K.

Samantha Loc 1B

Postby Samantha Loc 1B » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:43 pm

Since endothermic reactions require heat to proceed, when heat is added, the reaction proceeds, thus creating more product and increasing K (since it increases [P], the numerator of the concentration of the equilibrium constant K).

Terrence Chi

Postby Terrence Chi » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:00 pm

Hi, if the reaction is endothermic, it requires heat, so adding more heat to the system results in the system to counter it by using up that heat, so the reaction will eventually favor the product (increase K). Hope this helps!

Alan Nguyen 2I

Postby Alan Nguyen 2I » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:03 pm

I like to think of problems like this like balancing a scale. Because heat is a reactant, the K will shift to products because you are adding more heat, a reactant. Make sure you make know that this only occurs when heat is added. The opposite occurs when you lower the temperature.

taline krumian 1L

Postby taline krumian 1L » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:40 pm

In an endothermic reaction, the system absorbs heat (reactants + heat -> products). Heat is considered a reactant, meaning the reaction will shift right.

Return to “Non-Equilibrium Conditions & The Reaction Quotient”