Memorization Techniques for the Relationship between Q & K

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jon Phan 1B

Memorization Techniques for the Relationship between Q & K

Postby Jon Phan 1B » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:42 pm

Does anyone know a really cool pneumonic or some memorization technique for the relationship between Q and K since I cannot seem to remember it off the top of my head without a cheat sheet. Thank you.

Natalie Swerdlow 3K
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Memorization Techniques for the Relationship between Q & K

Postby Natalie Swerdlow 3K » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:51 pm

I like to remember it by looking at the greater than or lesser than arrows, so ">" and "<" and always think that the opposite of what the arrow is signifying. For example, if Q<K, because the arrow is pointing left, then the opposite would be the shift in the reaction which would be right. I hope this might help!

Postby 005801694 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:01 pm

Unfortunately, I don't have a pneumonic but I find that I remember the relationship best when I think of Q and K as products divided by reactants. Q is less than K when the denominator is too large meaning there are too many reactants. Based on Le Chatelier's Principle, when there are too many reactants, the reaction will push towards (favor) the formation of products. When Q is greater than K, the numerator is too large (meaning that there is too much product) so the reaction will push towards the formation of reactants.

Abigail Tran 14a

Postby Abigail Tran 14a » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:04 pm

when q is greater than there is more products and it needs to be balanced out by creating more reactants and shifting the reaction to shift to the left

Postby 205282258 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:07 pm

Hi! I always just remember that wherever the arrow points between Q and K, the reaction will proceed in the opposite direction. For example when Q>K the "arrow" points toward K/the right so I know that the reaction will proceed to the left/towards the reactants.

Isabelle Kim 3E

Postby Isabelle Kim 3E » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:08 pm

I always try to understand the comparison for the direction of the chemical reaction by putting the Q before K in order to make the arrow point towards the favored side. So, for example - Q>K since the arrow is pointing towards the Q, this is favoring the products and vice versa for when the K is larger than Q.

Hope that makes sense and helps you as well!

Carlie_Dorostkar_1A

Postby Carlie_Dorostkar_1A » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:14 pm

Natalie Swerdlow 3K wrote:I like to remember it by looking at the greater than or lesser than arrows, so ">" and "<" and always think that the opposite of what the arrow is signifying. For example, if Q<K, because the arrow is pointing left, then the opposite would be the shift in the reaction which would be right. I hope this might help!

Thank you Natalie! This is so helpful!!

Nicole Ton 3C

Postby Nicole Ton 3C » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:46 pm

A quick memorization trick is when writing the comparing relationships between Q and K, order them as Q _ K. If you do it in this order, then the reaction will always proceed in the direction of the larger of the two. For example, when Q<K, the reaction proceeds to where the larger value is, which in this case is K which is on the right side, meaning the reaction goes to the right. When Q>K, the reaction goes left since Q is greater and it is on the left side of the inequality statement.

KPINTO 1B

Postby KPINTO 1B » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:32 am

Hi! So, just to give you another way this is how I memorized this, so we are taught K first because it is more important and a larger and more broader concept than Q, so we give it priority and make it the deciding factor. I think its easy to forget if you try to focus on both, so try to just hone in on K and its relationship to Q. So if K>Q, the forward reaction is favored and we will remember that this means forward because we usually look at a reaction as its forward reaction first rather than reverse and if K<Q the reverse reaction is favored. and of course if they are equal the system is at equilibrium.I hope this helps!

Postby 305670352 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:48 pm

Saving as I need this as well!

Emmaplant1c

Postby Emmaplant1c » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:31 pm

Natalie Swerdlow 3K wrote:I like to remember it by looking at the greater than or lesser than arrows, so ">" and "<" and always think that the opposite of what the arrow is signifying. For example, if Q<K, because the arrow is pointing left, then the opposite would be the shift in the reaction which would be right. I hope this might help!

I found this so helpful, thank you!

Return to “Non-Equilibrium Conditions & The Reaction Quotient”