Salts

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Albert Chen 1G

Salts

Postby Albert Chen 1G » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:02 pm

How do you determine if a Salt is acidic, basic, or neutral? Which factors do you look at?

1. K2SO3
2. KCl

Re: Salts

Postby 005801694 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:21 pm

Look at the ions (cations and anions) that make up the salt when it's ionized. A salt is neutral if there is a cation of the strong base and anion of the strong acid. It is basic if: cation of strong base, anion of weak acid. It's acidic if there's an anion of a strong acid and cation of a weak base. You should probably memorize the common strong acids and bases so that you can recognize when the ions come from them. Hope this helps!

Jack Amos 2I

Postby Jack Amos 2I » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:23 pm

This one tripped me up as well because at first it isn't that obvious, but the key here is that we have to look at these salts as if they were dissociated in water. So for the salts you presented, in water, they would dissociate into:

1. K+ and SO3 2-
2. K+ and Cl-

Through experiment, we have discovered that K+ and Cl- ions really like to stay dissociated in water and won't reform bonds with OH- ions (for K+, since it is a cation) and H+ protons (for Cl-, since it is an anion). Due to this likely irreversibility, there will be a higher concentration of either OH- ions or H+.

For KCl however, since the presence of a strong base cation and a strong acid anion are both apparent, this salt would lead to a neutral solution.
For K2SO3, we know K+ is a cation of a strong base, so there will be a relatively higher concentration of OH- ions. SO3 2- is not an anion of a strong acid, so H+ ions will frequently dissociate and associate with the SO3 2- anion, leaving the concentration of OH- ions higher in a solution of dissolved K2SO3, meaning the solution tends to be basic.

Sohan Talluri 1L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Sohan Talluri 1L » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:32 pm

There are a lot of factors to consider, but here are some guidelines:
Cations from groups 1 and 2 and Cl-, Br-, and I- from group 17 don't affect pH.
A salt containing an acid will be acidic (ex: NH4Cl).
A salt containing a base (or the conjugate base of a weak acid) will be basic (ex: NaCH3CO2).

For #1, K2SO3 dissociates into 2K+ and SO32-. The cation K+ is from group 1, so it doesn't affect the pH. The anion SO32- is the conjugate base of a weak acid, H2SO3, so it makes the salt basic.

For #2, KCl dissociates into K+ and Cl-. The cation K+ is from group 1 and the anion Cl- is from group 17, so neither will affect the pH and the salt will be neutral.

Hopefully this helps and please correct me if there are any mistakes.

Return to “Non-Equilibrium Conditions & The Reaction Quotient”