Changes to Pressure in liquids and solids

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Emmaplant1c

Changes to Pressure in liquids and solids

Postby Emmaplant1c » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:32 pm

After watching our lecture on the effects of changing pressure and temperature, I was curious as to whether or not we will come across scenarios where changes to pressure would affect solids or liquids in reaction? If so, what are some examples to how pressure would affect these mediums?

Emily Engelkemier 1E

Re: Changes to Pressure in liquids and solids

Postby Emily Engelkemier 1E » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:37 pm

Smaller changes in pressure do not greatly affect liquids or solids. However, if the pressure increases significantly, a liquid could form a solid; if the pressure decreases significantly, a liquid could form a gas or a solid could form a liquid. I'm not sure if we will come across these types of scenarios in this class.

Harrison Lin 2J

Postby Harrison Lin 2J » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:01 pm

Yes! Because pressure and temperature are directly proportional to each other (according to Gay-Lussac's Gas Law), there will be changes in pressure and stuff to gasses; however, I think that altering the pressure of gas could alter the temperature, making it condense. I think we primarily study pressure of gasses, but I think we will later get into vapor pressure and how it relates to volume of a closed system.

Postby 405532435 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:04 pm

If there is a large increase in pressure, then a liquid could change into a solid, and vice versa. However, if the increase or decrease in pressure is not significant, it will not affect these compounds.
Hope this helps!

Ethan_Choi_2I

Postby Ethan_Choi_2I » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:51 pm

I would say that the only times where this could come into effect is if a question gave an equation where on the of the reactants changed its state of matter and the question asks what could have prompted this change (pressure among other factors such as temperature could be an answer to this kind of question).

Madison Rhynhart 3H

Postby Madison Rhynhart 3H » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:05 pm

In most cases changes in pressure will not directly affect the solid or liquid enough to cause significant notice, however if the pressure is great enough it may cause that liquid to take a solid form. It is all relative to the system.

Joelle Tran 1K

Postby Joelle Tran 1K » Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:52 pm

https://courses.lumenlearning.com/chemi ... -pressure/ states that "A change in the pressure on a liquid or a solid has a negligible effect."

Ellie Fox 2K

Postby Ellie Fox 2K » Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:40 pm

We may come across these scenarios, but I think it is unlikely as stated above changes in pressure, unless very significant, are negligible for liquids and solids, so there is no effect.

Guadalupe_3B

Postby Guadalupe_3B » Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:38 pm

I believe you can come across similar scenarios, but it isn't likely because in most cases pressure won't directly affect solids or liquids.

Edriana J Altea 2G

Postby Edriana J Altea 2G » Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:59 pm

It is very unlikely that this can occur because pressure doesn't really affect solids and liquids.

Return to “Non-Equilibrium Conditions & The Reaction Quotient”