Text Book Questions

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Omaia Olivas 1C

Text Book Questions

Postby Omaia Olivas 1C » Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:36 pm

Hello, I've been stuck trying to do 5I.15. How am I supposed to approach this problem? Also, what section do you find the textbook answers? All I found were a few examples and not all of them.

LenaNguyen

Re: Text Book Questions

Postby LenaNguyen » Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:14 am

Hello,

To find the textbook answers with the problem worked out, you can go onto BruinLearn > under the "Welcome and Get Started" module > "Chemical Principles, 7th Edition, Student Solutions Manual (Fundamentals, 1-7, 9)" link for the pdf of the solutions.

For 5I.15, NH4HS(s) will disassociate into NH3(g) + H2S(g). From here, find the molar concentration of NH3 (0.400 mol NH3 / 2.00L), then create an ICE table and solve for x using the Kc given. Hope this helps!

victoria_sitter_1L

Re: Text Book Questions

Postby victoria_sitter_1L » Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:27 pm

Yeah to add on, you first find the molar concentration of NH3 by finding the number of mols over L. So in this case it would be 0.400 mols/ 2.0 L.
After that, you set up an ICE table to find the equilibrium concentrations.
After finding those, you would set up your equation to find x from Kc. Remember that you don't include the NH4NS because it is solid. Your equation should look like [NH3][H2S] = Kc
Once you find your x, look back to your equilibrium constants and plug-in x where needed to get the concentrations of H2S and NH3.

Return to “Non-Equilibrium Conditions & The Reaction Quotient”