5J.5 D

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Nane Onanyan 1G
Been upvoted: 1 time

5J.5 D

Postby Nane Onanyan 1G » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:36 am

The question is asking if products or reactants will be favored by an increase of total pressure.

E) 2HD(g)+H2(g) -> D2(g)

The solution manual says no change because there is the same number of moles on each side of the equation. Can someone explain this? I thought it would shift towards the products.

Faaizah Arshad 1H
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: 5J.5 D

Postby Faaizah Arshad 1H » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:10 am

I think you meant to write 2HD (g)--> H2 (g)+ D2 (g)

When you increase the pressure of the system, you expect the reaction to favor the side with the less moles of gas to relieve the pressure (Le Chatelier's principle). However, in this case, there are 2 moles of gas in the reactants and 2 moles of gas in the products side. So, the reaction wouldn't shift to either side.

Kandyce Lance 3E

Postby Kandyce Lance 3E » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:25 pm

Faaizah Arshad 1H wrote:I think you meant to write 2HD (g)--> H2 (g)+ D2 (g)

When you increase the pressure of the system, you expect the reaction to favor the side with the less moles of gas to relieve the pressure (Le Chatelier's principle). However, in this case, there are 2 moles of gas in the reactants and 2 moles of gas in the products side. So, the reaction wouldn't shift to either side.

Are you saying that because of the moles the reaction is at equilibrium?

Caitlin_Doak_2H

Postby Caitlin_Doak_2H » Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:55 pm

Yes, I believe so. It is important to consider moles, but since they are equal on either side (2), then the reaction wouldn't shift.

Return to “Applying Le Chatelier's Principle to Changes in Chemical & Physical Conditions”