Percentage Deprotonation

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Henry Lewis 3F

Percentage Deprotonation

Postby Henry Lewis 3F » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:05 pm

I'm a little confused about how you can analyze percentage deprotonation. How can you tell the strength of an acid by looking at this percentage?

Violet Webber 1F

Re: Percentage Deprotonation

Postby Violet Webber 1F » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:08 pm

Percentage deprotonation is the concentration of dissociated [H+] to the concentration of the undissociated [HA] / the molarity of the H+ ions over the initial concentration of acid. This tells you the percentage of protons dissociated into the solution. Acid strength is determined by percent dissociation, so this helps you understand the strength of the acid.

RandyRich

Postby RandyRich » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:15 pm

Hey!

From what I understand protonation would to some degree indicate how strong an acid or base is, since it protonation is when a base gains a hydrogen. The concentration of hydroxide ions at equilibrium divided by the initial concentration of the base is in essence the percent protonated, and a weak base will be less protonated.

Isabelle Huerta 2I

Postby Isabelle Huerta 2I » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:16 am

So when we are analyzing percentage deprotonation, we need to know that it is to indicate the proportion of acid molecules that donated a proton in the solution. Now we have an insight on the strength of the acid. The higher percentage of deprotonation will mean we have a stronger acid and greater dissociation. A lower percentage will mean we have a weaker acid and less dissociation/weaker acid.

Postby 105561735 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:15 am

A higher percentage of deprotonation indicates that a larger proportion of acid molecules have dissociated into ions. This suggests that the acid is more likely to donate protons in solution, indicating a stronger acid.: Conversely, a lower percentage of deprotonation suggests that fewer acid molecules have dissociated into ions. This indicates that the acid is less likely to donate protons in solution, indicating a weaker acid

Return to “Applying Le Chatelier's Principle to Changes in Chemical & Physical Conditions”