Temperature and Spontaneity

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ashwin Babu 1I

Temperature and Spontaneity

Postby Ashwin Babu 1I » Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:27 am

How does the reaction being exothermic/endothermic or spontaneous/non-spontaneous affect the way in which Le Chatelier's deals with temperature changes?

Re: Temperature and Spontaneity

Postby 906013563 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:42 am

YES it does, Le Chatelier's principle suggests that an increase in temperature for an exothermic reaction, which releases heat, will cause the equilibrium to shift towards the reactants to absorb the excess heat, behaving endothermically. Conversely, for an endothermic reaction that absorbs heat, raising the temperature shifts the equilibrium towards the products, as the system seeks to counteract the temperature change by consuming more heat. Therefore, the reaction's heat characteristics (exothermic or endothermic) directly influence how temperature changes affect equilibrium, with the system adjusting in a direction that attempts to mitigate the temperature alteration.
hope this helps!

JeffreyL
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Temperature and Spontaneity

Postby JeffreyL » Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:13 pm

Something that might help visualize this is actually writing out the equation with heat either on the reactant or products side and then interpreting changes in temperature with the equation. For example, you could write an exothermic(heat releasing) reaction as such:
A-->B+ Heat. Now you can treat heat like a product concentration and temperature changes can be interpreted through that lens as either increasing or decreasing heat "concentration." The same can be done for endothermic reactions like such:
A + Heat --> B. I think writing things out like this helps a lot to interpret what's going on conceptually.

Return to “Applying Le Chatelier's Principle to Changes in Chemical & Physical Conditions”