Dynamic Equilibrium

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ashwin Babu 1I

Dynamic Equilibrium

Postby Ashwin Babu 1I » Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:53 pm

In terms of how a system responds to change in pressure, what would the forward and reverse reaction rates look like as time passes? Do they linearly increase/decrease until the rates converge at the same value, and does one rate always stay higher than the other?

Claude Chung 2F

Re: Dynamic Equilibrium

Postby Claude Chung 2F » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:32 pm

hello-- so when talking about pressure changes, the forward and reverse reaction rates initially increase nonlinearly. and then, as equilibrium is approached, the rates stabilize until they eventually equalize to the same value. the relative magnitude of each rate depends on the specific reaction and its equilibrium constant, with one rate potentially staying higher than the other at equilibrium.

Isabelle Huerta 2I

Re: Dynamic Equilibrium

Postby Isabelle Huerta 2I » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:54 pm

So when pressure is changing, both the forward and reverse rates will adjust non-linearly whether they increase or decrease. Eventually they will come together as the same value when equilibrium is reached, but one rate is going to remain higher than the other (this depends on the conditions of the reaction and the equilibrium constants).

Return to “Applying Le Chatelier's Principle to Changes in Chemical & Physical Conditions”