Buffers in Titration

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

RandyRich

Buffers in Titration

Postby RandyRich » Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:39 pm

I am still a bit confused about the significant or effect of the buffer region when graphing a weak acid titrated with a strong base on a graph of pH versus volume of titrant used. Could someone explain more about how you know you would be in buffer region and what it means?

Beatriz Rosas Feliciano 2C

Re: Buffers in Titration

Postby Beatriz Rosas Feliciano 2C » Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:41 pm

Hi,
A buffer region is a region in which the pH remains constant in a solution. A buffer region would be represented as a flat portion in the middle of the curve.

MafruhaR

Postby MafruhaR » Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:48 pm

Hi! I hope I'm explaining this properly but the buffer region in a titration curve of a weak acid with a strong base occurs around the equivalence point, where the weak acid and its conjugate base are present in significant amounts, resulting in minimal pH changes with small additions of titrant. So like being in the buffer region allows for precise pH control and accurate determination of the equivalence point during the titration process.

Postby 405981594 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:08 pm

It is the region where the pH changes relatively slowly despite the addition of small amounts of titrant and it happens because the reaction contains a good amount of weak acids and their conjugate bases

Return to “Applying Le Chatelier's Principle to Changes in Chemical & Physical Conditions”