difference between weak acids and weak bases

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jennifer Fimbres

difference between weak acids and weak bases

Postby Jennifer Fimbres » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:10 pm

When a question is asking about ionization or protonization in regards to weak acids or weak bases, is it essentially the same thing just different because ones talking about an acid and one is a base or is there a different process to be taken?

Lucas Vu 2G

Re: difference between weak acids and weak bases

Postby Lucas Vu 2G » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:12 pm

Ionization is simply the lost of a proton by an acid and protonation is the gaining of a proton by a base.

Nicolas Williams

Postby Nicolas Williams » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:13 pm

No it is not the same thing, for weak acids, ionization refers to the process by which the acid molecules donate protons (H⁺ ions) to water molecules, forming hydronium ions (H₃O⁺) and the conjugate base. On the other hand, for weak bases, protonization involves the acceptance of protons (H⁺ ions) from water molecules, leading to the formation of hydroxide ions (OH⁻) and the conjugate acid.

Isabelle Huerta 2I

Postby Isabelle Huerta 2I » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:27 pm

I believe it means the same when the question refers to ionization/protonization when concerning weak acids/bases, the concept is the same but it is different in what it is in reference to (acids or bases). It is simply about the transfer of H+ ions from an acid or base molecule to water. Weak acids is focused on the ionization involved in the transfer of a proton from an acid molecule to water, which will result in H3O+ and a conjugate base. For weak bases, the focus is on protonization when water donates a proton to a base, resulting in OH- and a conjugate acid. The process is specific to acids or bases but the main idea behind it is similar.

Return to “Applying Le Chatelier's Principle to Changes in Chemical & Physical Conditions”