Concept Question

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Michelle Pham_3H

Concept Question

Postby Michelle Pham_3H » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:59 am

Today in lecture, we discussed a lot of conceptual ideas regarding the response of equilibria to change and Le Chatelier's principle. Professor asked a question that I didn't catch the answer to. If someone could explain and answer this question I would really appreciate it: Without adding more reactants, how would you increase the yield of ammonia? This is in reference to N2(g) + 3H2(g) ⇔ 2NH3(g).Thanks in advance!

Hena Sihota 1L
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: Concept Question

Postby Hena Sihota 1L » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:09 am

You would increase the yield of ammonia by removing the ammonia as it is produced in the reaction. By constantly removing the product you would prevent the reaction from reaching equilibrium and since there would then be far more reactants than products, the forward reaction would be strongly favored, thus increasing the yield of ammonia.

Rana YT 2L

Postby Rana YT 2L » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:30 am

it's all based on the ratios so in order to increase the yield of ammonia, you need to decrease ammonia (take some out) because then the ratio will heavily favor the reactants. for example if at equilibrium the ratio of reactants to products is 2:2 so when you remove the ammonia, the ratio becomes 2:1 and since the system wants to return to equilibrium it will produce more ammonia to be able to return to that 2:2 ratio form the 2:1 ratio

Diego Zavala 2I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Diego Zavala 2I » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:40 pm

Although the answer that Dr. Lavelle said was by removing HN3, you could also change the volume since the reactants and products do not have the same amount of moles of gas (4 in reactants vs 2 in products). Thus, you could decrease the volume to increase the production of NH3

Return to “Applying Le Chatelier's Principle to Changes in Chemical & Physical Conditions”