Concept Q// Change in Temp

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Frenz Cabison 1B

Concept Q// Change in Temp

Postby Frenz Cabison 1B » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:15 pm

How does heating favor the formation of reactants when the reaction is exothermic while forming product?

Glendy Gonzalez 1A

Re: Concept Q// Change in Temp

Postby Glendy Gonzalez 1A » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:25 pm

If a reaction is exothermic and the temperature is increased, the reaction will shift to the left in order to reduce the temperature. When the reactants are favored, more heat is absorbed (Which helps absorbed the extra heat and reach equilibrium again).

ConnorThomas2E

Postby ConnorThomas2E » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:59 pm

When I do these problems, I like to think of heat as one of the reactants or products. For an endothermic reaction, I think of the energy as a reactant because the reaction requires energy, and when a reaction is exothermic, I think of the energy as a product because it releases energy. With this in mind, the reaction will shift just like it would if you were adding/removing reactants/products.

nathansalce 3e

Postby nathansalce 3e » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:40 am

I really like this concept ^. But if that somehow doesn't help, it might help to think of it this way. Endothermic means for a reaction to require heat, which means that if heat is increased, more reactants will be able to turn into products. However, Professor says for the opposite is true. If the reaction is exothermic, then the reverse reaction is favored; the products more readily reverse react into reactants. Lavelle liked to think of it in terms of opposites, or at least that's what i caught on to.

Return to “Applying Le Chatelier's Principle to Changes in Chemical & Physical Conditions”