Inert gases

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

deeksha1I

Inert gases

Postby deeksha1I » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:34 pm

Adding inert gases to a reaction has no effect on the equilibrium of a reaction, correct?
Thank you!

RaviAmin1H

Re: Inert gases

Postby RaviAmin1H » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:38 pm

If the volume is limited by a steel container then yes it has no effect on equilibrium, but if the gas is in open space then adding inert gas adds to pressure.

diangelosoriano

Postby diangelosoriano » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:20 pm

The addition of the inert gas in itself will not affect the concentration, but since the inert gas is taking up space in the container, it is adding to the pressure of the whole system. When pressure is increased, the reaction will shift to favor the side with less total moles of gas.

Phan Tran 1K

Postby Phan Tran 1K » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:40 pm

Adding inert gases will only affect the equilibrium if the reaction is in a closed system. They add more particles, which increases the overall pressure and affects the other gases's partial pressure.

Emmaraf 1K

Postby Emmaraf 1K » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:08 pm

I don't believe adding an inert gas changes the equilibrium regardless of whether it is an open or closed system. Assuming the inert gas behaves as an ideal gas, the gas is said to take up no space aka that it has no volume. Therefore, if volume isn't changing then the concentration isn't changing in this scenario so the equilibrium stays where it is.

Return to “Applying Le Chatelier's Principle to Changes in Chemical & Physical Conditions”