Volume increasing

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Meachelle_Lum_1I

Volume increasing

Postby Meachelle_Lum_1I » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:02 pm

I’m Lavelle’s lecture today, he said that generally when volume decreases, the equilibrium will shift to the side with less moles of gas. So if volume increases, does equilibrium shift to the side with more moles of gas?

Lauren Ho 2E

Re: Volume increasing

Postby Lauren Ho 2E » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:30 pm

Yes, I believe it does!

Faith Fredlund 1H

Postby Faith Fredlund 1H » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:41 pm

The equilibrium would shift to the side containing more moles because it is the favored reaction. With less pressure inhibiting the reaction, it is then allowed to occur.

Cade Okohira 4K

Postby Cade Okohira 4K » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:02 pm

Because K doesn't change when pressure changes, a decreasing volume (or increasing pressure) with more moles of gas on the left will cause the reaction to shift to the right. When the volume is decreased and there are more moles on the right, then the reaction shifts to the left. However, when adding inert gas, there is no change in the reactant or product concentrations and thus no effect on the equilibrium constant.

Jacob Bershatski 4C

Postby Jacob Bershatski 4C » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:29 am

Yes. If the volume of the container increases then the reaction will favor the side of the reaction with more moles. I think the reason for this is that when you increase the volume, you decrease the concentrations of gases since concentration = moles/volume.

Return to “Applying Le Chatelier's Principle to Changes in Chemical & Physical Conditions”