pressure and temperature

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ruiting Jia 4D

pressure and temperature

Postby Ruiting Jia 4D » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:02 pm

Can the effects of changing pressure and temperature on concentration be summarized? I only understand how to increase yield of products by removing products, but unfortunately I didn't learn anything in high school regarding the effects of pressure or temperature.

Brian Chhoy 4I

Re: pressure and temperature

Postby Brian Chhoy 4I » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:51 pm

Changing pressure would result in a change in volume and since concentration= moles/volume, the concentration of the reactants and products would change respectively. Changing temperature would cause the concentration of either the reactants or products to change depending on if the forward/reverse reaction is either exothermic or endothermic. The change in temperature changes the value of K, because the it would either provide additional energy making it easier for the endothermic reaction to occur or the opposite, causing the reaction to tend towards the exothermic.

Anjali_Kumar1F

Postby Anjali_Kumar1F » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:45 pm

Does temperature change or affect the concentration(K) and why?

harshitasarambale4I

Postby harshitasarambale4I » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:48 pm

Yes temperature changes the K value. In class we said that endothermic reactions will favor product formation when heating while exothermic reactions will favor reactant formation when heating.

deepto_mizan1H

Postby deepto_mizan1H » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:48 pm

Since the K constant is a ratio of concentrations and the temperature change does affect the K constant's value, I think it would make sense that the concentrations would shift accordingly to reflect the change in ratio.

Return to “Applying Le Chatelier's Principle to Changes in Chemical & Physical Conditions”