Inert Gas added

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Cecilia Jardon 1I

Inert Gas added

Postby Cecilia Jardon 1I » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:42 pm

What will happen when an inert gas is introduced into a chemical equilibrium?

Hovik Mike Mkryan 2I

Re: Inert Gas added

Postby Hovik Mike Mkryan 2I » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:12 pm

Hello,
As mentioned by Professor Lavelle in class, an inert gas that was never present in our reaction will have no effect on the equilibrium when added inside the system. Hope this helped!

deepto_mizan1H

Postby deepto_mizan1H » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:23 pm

When an inert gas is added to the system, it doesn't participate in the reaction at all, and the reacting gases will retain their same volume and remain unchanged. That's why when we have inert gases we can pretty much disregard it.

Katelyn Phan 2A

Postby Katelyn Phan 2A » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:49 pm

The inert gas will not have any effect on the equilibrium system. Since it doesn't react, it won't change.

Nathan Mariano 2G

Postby Nathan Mariano 2G » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:47 pm

Introducing an inert gas in a chemical equilibrium will change the volume and the pressure of the vessel that the reactants and products occupy. However, the inert gas will not change the concentration/partial pressure of the reactants and products and therefore will not affect the chemical equilibrium between the reactants and products. The pressure of the reactants and products will only change if the volume is through compression with a piston.

Return to “Applying Le Chatelier's Principle to Changes in Chemical & Physical Conditions”