the word shifted

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Samantha Chung 4I

the word shifted

Postby Samantha Chung 4I » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:44 pm

Dr. Lavelle mentioned sometime that we cannot use the word "shifted", can we apply this term when talking about Le Chatelier's principle - for instance, the position of equilibrium shifts to the right if we add more reactants?

Alondra Olmos 4C

Re: the word shifted

Postby Alondra Olmos 4C » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:10 am

I believe he still prefers if we use the term "favors." So, when more reactant is added to a reaction, more product will form so the reaction will favor the products.

Sean Reyes 1J

Postby Sean Reyes 1J » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:46 am

I think it's because the addition of more reactants wouldn't result in a different equilibrium constant, it would just result in a new reaction quotient Q. Adding in more reactants would decrease the value of Q, which means that K>Q and that the reaction would favor the forward direction, not necessarily "shift" the equilibrium as the only thing that can truly shift the value of K is a change in temperature.
A better term to use in place of "shift" would be "favor," but I just wanted to explain why it kind of makes sense? I don't know I'm sorry if this is confusing ahhh but I also hope I helped!

Ryan Troutman 4L

Postby Ryan Troutman 4L » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:00 pm

Using the word shifted assumes we're already at equilibrium and it's shifting in favor of either products or reactants. Instead, using the word "favors" is much more accurate of what we're trying to state.

Return to “Applying Le Chatelier's Principle to Changes in Chemical & Physical Conditions”