Ideal Gases

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

madisondesilva1c

Ideal Gases

Postby madisondesilva1c » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:06 am

What are some common examples of ideal gases being added to a reaction? I am having trouble imagining this happening but feel that a real world example may be able to help me understand this better.

Meachelle_Lum_1I

Re: Ideal Gases

Postby Meachelle_Lum_1I » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:58 pm

One example Lavelle gave in class was adding Helium to a reaction. Since Helium is a noble gas, it is basically unreactive and will not affect the reaction/shift equilibrium. I don't think we have to understand exactly how Helium will just "sit" in the reaction, but the main idea is that noble gases are unreactive and adding them will not shift equilibrium.

Sophia Ding 1B

Re: Ideal Gases

Postby Sophia Ding 1B » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:06 pm

Yeah so ideal gases like Helium and nitrogen, if the reaction vessel had none of them ideal gas within the reactants or products of the reaction, then ultimately the concentrations of them do not change. We learned the quick way that if volume is decreased (pressure increased) then equilibrium would shift to the side with "less molecules," but that only works due to the underlying concept of increased concentrations. So if an ideal gas is added but does not affect concentration, it can still be added to a vessel to increase overall pressure but will not affect equilibrium.

Return to “Applying Le Chatelier's Principle to Changes in Chemical & Physical Conditions”