Temp affecting K

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Sophia_Kiessling_2L

Temp affecting K

Postby Sophia_Kiessling_2L » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:37 pm

In the textbook it states that K does not change due to the fact that it is a characteristic of the reaction and says that instead Q is changing, which makes complete sense and that's how I thought it was. However, it also states that K changes depending on the temperature (ex: increasing temp in exothermic rxn decreases K). What does K changing due to temp mean? Does it really change or is it just a way to refer to the fact that the equilibrium is shifting?

Clarissa Cabil 1I

Re: Temp affecting K

Postby Clarissa Cabil 1I » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:42 pm

When it says that K is changing due to a change in temperature, it is referring to the equilibrium constant changing.
When the temperature of a reaction is changed, then you are changing an aspect of the reaction itself, which is why the equilibrium constant, K, and not Q is changing.

Catly Do 2E

Postby Catly Do 2E » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:20 pm

Temperature is the only thing that affects the equilibrium constant (K). Therefore, when temperature changes, so does K. Q is used to calculate the current state or a hypothetical state of a reaction to compare to the K for the temperature to see whether the reaction will favor reactants or products.

Mhun-Jeong Isaac Lee 1B

Postby Mhun-Jeong Isaac Lee 1B » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:35 pm

As the above responses have stated, K is the only factor that causes a change in K. Changes in elements like pressure, volume, or moles creates a Q which is temporary.

Alysa Rallistan 2G

Postby Alysa Rallistan 2G » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:10 am

K is not affected by changes in concentrations of a system; however Q is since it is a measure of where the reaction is at any point in time relative to equilibrium (at K) but the only thing that can change the actual value of K is temperature

Return to “Applying Le Chatelier's Principle to Changes in Chemical & Physical Conditions”