Test Question

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Test Question

Postby 805087225 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:21 pm

What would the right answer be in the last question of the test? How would we go about it:
b) Consider the above reaction at equilibrium ( Kc= 0.046 given above), fully describe what will happen if the volume is decreased at constant temperature.

How do I do this question? if volume decreases, concentration increases right? and since kc is less than 1, wont it move in the forward direction?

LorenzoDuvergne3I

Re: Test Question

Postby LorenzoDuvergne3I » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:30 pm

You would need the moles of the products and reactants to solve the problem, not the k value. The side with less moles is favored in the long run so long as the compression is really from a change in pressure and not the addition of an inert gas.

Jennifer Su 2L

Re: Test Question

Postby Jennifer Su 2L » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:03 pm

I had a different test, but generally speaking, by DECREASING the volume, you are INCREASING the pressure. With an increase in pressure, the reaction will tend towards the side with LESS moles. So you should count the coefficients (which tells you the number of moles) of the balanced equation on the reactants and products side, and whichever side with less moles would be the side the reaction favors.

Return to “Applying Le Chatelier's Principle to Changes in Chemical & Physical Conditions”