Temperature and Le Chatlier's Principle

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Nikki Bych 1I

Temperature and Le Chatlier's Principle

Postby Nikki Bych 1I » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:14 am

I forget how Temperature affects the reaction, can someone explain it please?

taryn_baldus2E

Re: Temperature and Le Chatlier's Principle

Postby taryn_baldus2E » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:47 am

In the case of an endothermic reaction where reactants + heat react to form the product, increasing the heat will encourage more product to form and increase the K value. In exothermic reaction where reactants interact to form the products and heat, increasing the temperature encourages more reactants to form and therefore lowers the K value.

Sarah Zhao 4C

Postby Sarah Zhao 4C » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:21 am

In raising the temperature, the reaction will tend to form the side that has more energy. In endothermic reactions, that will be the products and in exothermic reactions, the reactants.
In lowering the temperature, the reaction will tend to form the side that has less energy. In endothermic reactions, that will be the reactants and in exothermic reactions, the products.
If this concept is confusing, it is very helpful to draw out the potential energy graphs of exothermic and endothermic reactions!

LedaKnowles2E

Postby LedaKnowles2E » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:32 am

If the reaction is endothermic and the temperature is increased, the reaction will be pushed towards the products and K will increase.
If the reaction is exothermic and the temperature is increased, the reaction will be pushed towards the reactants and K will decrease.

Nikki Bych 1I

Postby Nikki Bych 1I » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:35 pm

Thanks!

Jacqueline Duong 1H

Postby Jacqueline Duong 1H » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:57 pm

For an exothermic reaction, the formation of products is found to be favored by lowering the temperature. For an endothermic reaction, the products are favored by an increase in temperature. So basically, raising the temperature of a reaction mixture at equilibrium will shift the reaction in the endothermic direction.

Roberto Gonzalez 1L

Postby Roberto Gonzalez 1L » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:49 pm

If a reaction is exothermic, a rise in temperature will shift the system in favor of the products (i.e: to the left), if it is exothermic the system will shift in favor of the reactants (i.e: the right). This is due to the fact that higher temperatures will favor the direction with higher energy.

Return to “Applying Le Chatelier's Principle to Changes in Chemical & Physical Conditions”