Le Chatelier's Principle

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

kanikubari

Le Chatelier's Principle

Postby kanikubari » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:52 am

What are the basics of Chatelier's principle?

Salena Chowdri 1I

Re: Le Chatelier's Principle

Postby Salena Chowdri 1I » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:56 am

When the concentration of reactants increases, forward reaction is favored (vice versa)
When the temperature increases for an endothermic reaction, forward reaction is favored (vice versa)
When gas is compressed, the side that has less gas molecules will be favored

kanikubari

Postby kanikubari » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:35 am

Salena Chowdri 1I wrote:When the concentration of reactants increases, forward reaction is favored (vice versa)
When the temperature increases for an endothermic reaction, forward reaction is favored (vice versa)
When gas is compressed, the side that has less gas molecules will be favored

Thank you so much!

Lauren Tanaka 1A

Postby Lauren Tanaka 1A » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:20 pm

Le Chatelier's Principle describes what happens to a reaction and what direction it will go in when the concentration of Q is greater than K (reverse reaction favored, more reactants) and when the concentration of Q is less than K (forward reaction favored, more products).

Hailey Kim 4G

Postby Hailey Kim 4G » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:29 pm

Le Chatelier's Principle states that chemical reactions adjust so as to minimize the effect of any changes (such as the change in concentration, pressure, or temperature). When a reaction undergoes these changes, the equilibrium will shift and favor either the formation of products or reactants (depending on the change) to counteract the disturbance.

preyasikumar_2L

Postby preyasikumar_2L » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:41 pm

Le Chatelier's principle states that if the equilibrium of a system is disturbed (caused by changes in temperature, pressure, volume, or concentration) the position of equilibrium will “shift” to counteract the changes and reestablish equilibrium in ways that we can predict.

Sara Richmond 2K

Postby Sara Richmond 2K » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:18 pm

Le Chatelier's Principle can be used to determine how changes in a specific constraint of a reaction in equilibrium will affect the other constraints of the reaction. The principle can be best understood if you look at it like a fraction, as Kc is written in fraction form. (A/B=C) In situation, C never changes. So if A is increased, then B must also increase in order that C does not change. The principle works even as the fraction gets more complicated such as (AB/CD=E). In this case if A is increased, then B must decrease or C and D must increase in order that C does not change.

Example:
6/3=2
But if we raise 6 to 8, then we must raise 3 to 4 in order that 2 may stay 2.

I am kinda a math nerd, so this is how I understood the principle best. I hope that helps.

Return to “Applying Le Chatelier's Principle to Changes in Chemical & Physical Conditions”