Today's Lecture

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Fatemah Yacoub 1F

Today's Lecture

Postby Fatemah Yacoub 1F » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:52 pm

Can someone explain what he was trying to say in todays lecture when he said that simply comparing the mole ratio would give the right answer but the wrong reasoning? What is the proper reasoning to explain change in pressure?

Ellen Amico 2L

Re: Today's Lecture

Postby Ellen Amico 2L » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:58 pm

The reasoning really comes from comparing Q (reaction quotient) to K. In the example he used, the concentration doubled due to the change in pressure, so Q < K and the reaction shifts right. There was more moles on the left, so this is consistent with the short reasoning. I wouldn't worry too much about memorizing it though, since he said he won't ask us that on a test for example.

Edmund Zhi 2B

Postby Edmund Zhi 2B » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:31 pm

It is consistent with the short reasoning. The short reasoning is just a simplified version of the true complex explanation that he showed in class. The short reasoning was used in high school to introduce us to the concept

Diana_Diep2I

Postby Diana_Diep2I » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:07 pm

The proper explanation was the comparison of Q to K, where the concentration doubled due to the volume being halved. When the concentration doubled and we found Q(this is before we wait for the system to return to equilibrium), we found that Q<K. And when Q<K, the reaction shifts to the right.

Return to “Applying Le Chatelier's Principle to Changes in Chemical & Physical Conditions”