5J.5 d

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Gabriella Bates 2L

5J.5 d

Postby Gabriella Bates 2L » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:53 am

State whether reactants or products will be favored by an increase in the total pressure (resulting from compression) on each of the following equilibria. If there is no change, explain why that is so.
(d) 2 HD(g) ∆ H2(g) 1 D2(g)

In the solutions manual, they explain that there is not change in whether the reactants or products are favored because there is the same number of moles of gaseous particles on both sides of the equation. However, Dr. Lavelle said this is a shortcut that doesn't always work (ie, adding an inert gas). Is this a sufficient explanation or would we need more detail on a test?

Alice Ma 2K

Re: 5J.5 d

Postby Alice Ma 2K » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:21 pm

Other than the "short cut," you could solve for the equilibrium constant given the new conditions and compare it to the original. The comparison would tell you which way the equation would shift to, if at all.

Kassidy Ford 1I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Kassidy Ford 1I » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:04 pm

Adding an inert gas never changes the equilibrium constant or pressures of the gases reacting in the equation so I think that explanation is sufficient

Ryan Lee 1E

Postby Ryan Lee 1E » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:51 pm

Adding an inert gas without compressing the container does not change the partial pressure of the original gasses, which is why the Q value doesn't change and thus the equation doesn't shift. In the question, it states that there is a change in total pressure that results from compression, in which case you can then use the shortcut discussed in class.

Return to “Applying Le Chatelier's Principle to Changes in Chemical & Physical Conditions”