Temperature

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Chloe Alviz 1E

Temperature

Postby Chloe Alviz 1E » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:54 pm

I still can't quite understand how equilibrium works with temperature (the "exothermic" and "endothermic" seem to be throwing me off). I've been trying to read the textbook for help but I'm quite lost. Can someone explain the process to me?

Anika Chakrabarti 1A

Re: Temperature

Postby Anika Chakrabarti 1A » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:02 pm

An endothermic reaction is one that requires heat to form products. For example, the reaction N2 -> 2N is endothermic because it requires energy to break the N-N bonds and form product. When an endothermic reaction is heated, its equilibrium constant increases, since more heat is absorbed by the reaction to make up for the increase in temperature. On the other hand, an exothermic reaction releases heat in the process of forming products, so heating an exothermic reaction causes K to decrease (less heat is released to make up for the rise in temperature).

Adam Kramer 1A

Re: Temperature

Postby Adam Kramer 1A » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:27 pm

Endothermic reactions cause energy to be taken in during the reaction, causing the reaction to favor the products when temperatures are higher. Exothermic reactions give off energy, meaning they would favor the reactants when temperatures are higher.

Return to “Applying Le Chatelier's Principle to Changes in Chemical & Physical Conditions”