Le Chatelier's Principle

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

ashwathinair

Le Chatelier's Principle

Postby ashwathinair » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:08 pm

How can Le Chatelier's principle be applied to partial pressures?

Cavalli_1H
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Le Chatelier's Principle

Postby Cavalli_1H » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:16 pm

When a change in partial pressure is applied on a system at equilibrium, the system shifts the position of equilibrium so as to minimize the effect of that change. So if volume decreases and there are more moles of gas on the left, then the reaction will shift right to accommodate the change, and if volume decreases and there are more moles of gas on the right, then the reaction will shift left to accommodate the change.

Delaney Smith 1C

Postby Delaney Smith 1C » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:18 pm

For partial pressure, the composition will tend to change in a way that minimizes the resulting increase in pressure. The basic point is that the reaction will shift to whichever side that has less moles.

Kristina Rizo 2K

Postby Kristina Rizo 2K » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:40 pm

Adding on to this, does the Le Chatelier's Principle only apply for the partial pressures or do I need to know how to apply it for concentrations?

AniP_2D

Postby AniP_2D » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:03 pm

Kristina Rizo 2K wrote:Adding on to this, does the Le Chatelier's Principle only apply for the partial pressures or do I need to know how to apply it for concentrations?

Le Chatelier's Principle is applied to both concentrations and partial pressures, however I believe that you would apply the principle to concentrations in the same way you would apply it to partial pressures.

Return to “Applying Le Chatelier's Principle to Changes in Chemical & Physical Conditions”