Conjugate Acids and Bases

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jessica Castellanos
Been upvoted: 1 time

Conjugate Acids and Bases

Postby Jessica Castellanos » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:57 am

How do you identify conjugate acids and bases in a chemical reaction? How do they differ from their respective acids and bases?

sarahforman_Dis2I

Re: Conjugate Acids and Bases

Postby sarahforman_Dis2I » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:19 pm

Jessica Castellanos wrote:How do you identify conjugate acids and bases in a chemical reaction? How do they differ from their respective acids and bases?

A conjugate acid/base in a reaction is what is left over after the proton is donated or accepted from water. For example, in the dissociation of HCl, Cl- and H3O+ ions are left over after the dissociation. This means that Cl- is the conjugate BASE to the acid HCl.

Here is another example with a weak base NH3. NH3 partially dissociates to form NH4+ and OH-. The NH4+ could theoretically donate another proton back to the OH- ion, meaning that it could act as an acid. This means that NH4+ is the conjugate acid of the base NH3.
I hope this helps

Paul Hage 2G

Postby Paul Hage 2G » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:20 pm

Conjugate acids and bases will typically have either one less H+ ion or one more H+ ion than their reacting counterparts.
For example, in the reaction HCl + H2O --> Cl- + H3O+, you can immediately notice that on the reactants side, HCl has one more proton than the Cl- on the products side and the Cl- on the products side has one less H+ ion than the HCl on the reactants side. Looking at the forward reaction (which is technically all there is because HCl is a strong acid), we see that the HCl molecule must donate an H+ to result in the Cl- that is on the products side. Therefore, it is an acid. The conjugate base would be the Cl- because this is the result of the acid (HCl) its H+ ion.

Sue Bin Park 2I

Postby Sue Bin Park 2I » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:40 pm

the term 'conjugate acid/base' is arbitrary and based on whatever we want to be focusing on. if HA + H2O <-> A- + H3O+ is our reaction, we could call HA our acid and A- our conjugate base, or A- our base and HA our conjugate acid. the word 'conjugate' just establishes the fact that one species is related to the other by a difference in protonation.

kristi le 2F

Postby kristi le 2F » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:42 pm

it is also helpful to know that if there is a strong acid, it will have a weak conjugate base and a strong base will have a weak conjugate acid. Therefore, by knowing the strength of the conjugate, we can determine the strength of the acid or base.

Return to “Applying Le Chatelier's Principle to Changes in Chemical & Physical Conditions”