Buffers

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Verity Lai 2K

Buffers

Postby Verity Lai 2K » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:25 pm

Could someone please summarize what Lavelle was talking about buffers please??

Hui Qiao Wu 1I

Re: Buffers

Postby Hui Qiao Wu 1I » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:31 pm

He said that buffers help resist change. Our body is only equipped to function under a limited range of conditions. The buffers help our mechanisms stay in that optimal range.

Sebastian Lee 1L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Sebastian Lee 1L » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:37 pm

I believe Lavelle was talking about how one can combine a weak acid and a salt solution containing its conjugate base to make a buffer. (The same applies with a weak base and its salt with the conjugate acid). A buffer is a solution that can resist changes in pH and balance the pH if an acid or base is added. This can only be done with weak acids/bases because they do NOT completely ionize; they maintain an equilibrium. If you had a solution of something like HNO2 and KNO2, you could reach a desired pH. If you add more acids to the solution, the reaction would try to reach equilibrium by creating more conjugate base. Likewise, if you added more base, it would go in the reverse direction. In this way, the buffer can resist changes in pH. Strong acid/base solutions can't act as buffers because they completely ionize so the reaction won't go both ways.

Mariah

Postby Mariah » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:15 pm

Hui Qiao Wu 1I wrote:He said that buffers help resist change. Our body is only equipped to function under a limited range of conditions. The buffers help our mechanisms stay in that optimal range.

So do buffers just help Chautliers principle ?

Return to “Applying Le Chatelier's Principle to Changes in Chemical & Physical Conditions”