Arrhenius equation?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Amy Xiao 1I

Arrhenius equation?

Postby Amy Xiao 1I » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:30 pm

I was reading 5J3 and there was a box on page 432 that explained the changes on equilibrium constant of temperature. They explained through kinetics and mentioned the Arrhenius equation. Can someone explain what this all means?

Screen Shot 2020-02-18 at 9.29.27 PM.png

Hannah Lee 2F

Re: Arrhenius equation?

Postby Hannah Lee 2F » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:44 pm

The Arrhenius equation shows the temperature dependence of reaction rates: Image

The textbook is showing how to derive van't Hoff equation from the Arrhenius equation by relating the temperature dependence of reaction rates to the temperature dependence of equilibrium constants. Thus, the kinetic and thermodynamic perspectives both show the role of temperature in determining equilibrium.

You can use the van't Hoff equation to find the equilibrium constant, K, at different temperatures: lnK2 - lnK1 = ln(K2/K1) = -(deltaH/R)(1/T2 - 1/T1)

Mai V 4L

Re: Arrhenius equation?

Postby Mai V 4L » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:53 pm

Hannah Lee 2F wrote:The Arrhenius equation shows the temperature dependence of reaction rates: Image

The textbook is showing how to derive van't Hoff equation from the Arrhenius equation by relating the temperature dependence of reaction rates to the temperature dependence of equilibrium constants. Thus, the kinetic and thermodynamic perspectives both show the role of temperature in determining equilibrium.

You can use the van't Hoff equation to find the equilibrium constant, K, at different temperatures: lnK2 - lnK1 = ln(K2/K1) = -(deltaH/R)(1/T2 - 1/T1)

Do you think this will be on the final

Return to “Applying Le Chatelier's Principle to Changes in Chemical & Physical Conditions”