Midterm 3B

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Midterm 3B

Postby 705121606 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:59 pm

I read on another post to look for the option that had the greatest number of moles, I was trying to do that on the test but i got similar numbers for many of the options which leads me to conclude I just calculated wrong. Could someone walk me through how they picked the correct answer

Ryan Narisma 4G

Re: Midterm 3B

Postby Ryan Narisma 4G » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:17 am

Hi! To answer your question, the question does take into account of the amount of moles of strong acid and strong base reacting, and you are definitely correct! Now that you've discerned which reactions have the maximum amount of moles, pay close attention to the the other changing variable: the volume of the solutions. Solutions with smaller volumes tend to heat up quickly than solutions with larger volumes. Take for instance a pot of water vs. a cup of water. If you add heat to each until they are both boiling, the cup of water will boil earlier on than the pot of water. So, to determine the maximum temperature change for a given input of heat, choose the option which would provide the most moles of reactants reacting and the least amount of volume possible. I hope this helps!

Return to “Applying Le Chatelier's Principle to Changes in Chemical & Physical Conditions”