Endothermic and Exothermic Concepts

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Vivian Leung 1C

Endothermic and Exothermic Concepts

Postby Vivian Leung 1C » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:56 pm

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew what Dr. Lavelle meant in his lecture when he wrote "(additional heat is used)" after describing what type of formation (product or reactant) that endothermic and exothermic reactions will favor.

Ex: If reaction requires heat (endothermic) while forming product, then heating will favor product formation (additional heat is used).

Stuti Pradhan 2J
Been upvoted: 5 times

Re: Endothermic and Exothermic Concepts

Postby Stuti Pradhan 2J » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:13 pm

I think Dr. Lavelle meant that since there is now more heat being added, that additional heat will be used by the reaction, which will result in more products being formed since the reaction is endothermic and needs heat to convert the reactants to products.

Hope this helps!

Lily Kiamanesh 2G

Postby Lily Kiamanesh 2G » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:35 am

I believe that that phrasing means that more heat will be incorporated into the reaction. I think that heat somewhat plays the role of another "substance" in a reaction. For an endothermic reaction, heat is a reactant, and for an exothermic reaction, heat is a product. When "additional heat is used," more heat is added and affects the reaction with Le Chatelier's principle like a substance does, making the reaction "shift" either right or left.

Lauren Sarigumba 1K

Postby Lauren Sarigumba 1K » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:39 am

Raising the temperature of an exothermic reaction lowers the value of K. Raising the temperature of an endothermic reaction increases the value of K.

Vivian Leung 1C

Postby Vivian Leung 1C » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:09 am

Oh ok, I see. Thank you!

Ivy Tan 1E
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Ivy Tan 1E » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:35 pm

Hi!
I think he means that heating an endothermic reaction will favor the products because the reaction requires heat, so adding additional heat will favor the forward reaction (product formation). Hope this helps!!

Postby 605291562 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:25 pm

Hi! I think he meant that because endothermic reactions need heat to happen that when heat is added the products are favored and the reaction shifts right (I think of it like adding heat is like adding a reactant), so I think all he means is the addition of heat favors more products being formed

kristinalaudis3e
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby kristinalaudis3e » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:49 pm

endothermic reactions need heat added to break the bonds, but that means it'll favor the products because breaking the bonds makes products.

Mansi Solanki 3A

Postby Mansi Solanki 3A » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:51 pm

I think that Dr. Lavelle was trying to say that net positive change in heat would be needed in order for the endothermic reaction to occur, meaning that "additional" heat would need to be added than just the current amount in order to give it the energy it needs to proceed with the reaction.

Hasmik Dis 2F

Postby Hasmik Dis 2F » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:56 pm

I like to think of endothermic as having heat as a reactant. If heat is a reactant, just treat it like a normal la chatelier's concept. If we raise the temperature, we're adding heat. What does that mean? Adding a reactant. Adding a reactant means to favor products.

Jack_Pearce_2H

Postby Jack_Pearce_2H » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:22 am

I think what he means is that to make sure the products will be favored in the reaction, since the reaction is endothermic, there must be additional heat added to the system in order for it to shift to the right and thus form more products. Hope this helps!

Madeline Ogden 3B

Postby Madeline Ogden 3B » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:50 pm

I think he meant that more heat will be used in the reaction. Since the reaction he was using as an example was endothermic, this means that more products will be formed.

MariaCassol1L

Postby MariaCassol1L » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:46 pm

Think of this as changes to the system. So if additional heat is added to an exothermic reaction (that releases heat) the reaction will favor the reactants because the reverse reaction of an exothermic reaction is an endothermic reaction, so by favoring the reactants the system will "use up" the heat you just added so that it can remain in the same state as it was before.

Return to “Applying Le Chatelier's Principle to Changes in Chemical & Physical Conditions”