Changing pressure

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Melody Haratian 2J
Been upvoted: 2 times

Changing pressure

Postby Melody Haratian 2J » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:34 pm

Does changing pressure only cause a change in the reaction when the volume ( thus the concentration) is being changed?

Isabelle Hales 1J
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Changing pressure

Postby Isabelle Hales 1J » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:28 pm

Hi! In Lavelle's Friday lecture, he mentioned that a change in pressure due to adding an inert gas would not cause a change in the reaction because the volume does not change. Thus, I believe that a change in the reaction only occurs when the pressure and volume are changing.

Emma_Barrall_3J

Postby Emma_Barrall_3J » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:47 pm

From my understanding, changing volume (and in turn pressure) of a non-inert gas will have an effect on reaction.

IreneGi2I

Postby IreneGi2I » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:26 pm

Yes, I believe changing pressure by decreasing volume would only cause a change because adding inert gas doesn't affect the concentration!

Kaihan_Danesh_2J

Postby Kaihan_Danesh_2J » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:29 pm

Yes, this is due to the fact that compression, decreasing the volume to increase pressure, causes a change in the concentration of reactants and products since concentration is equal to number of moles per liter(VOLUME), but if the volume does not change and you, say, insert an inert gas to change the pressure, nothing will happen since the concentrations of reactants and products are the same.

manisha_joseph_1H

Postby manisha_joseph_1H » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:31 pm

Yes, that is correct. Changing the volume has an affect on the concentration of the reactants and products, which ultimately will change the value of Q and cause the reaction to either shift to the left or right depending on the relation between Q and K.

Kelly Tran 1J

Postby Kelly Tran 1J » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:54 pm

As others have expressed above, changing the pressure by changing the volume will cause the reaction to change because changing the volume changes the concentration of the products and reactants. On the other hand, changing the volume by adding an inert gas will not cause the reaction to change because the addition of an inert gas has no effect on the concentrations of the products and reactants.

Brian Nguyen 2I

Postby Brian Nguyen 2I » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:02 pm

As long as the gas isn't inert, then changing the pressure will change the reaction due to a change in volume. The change in volume changes the concentration of the products and reactants, which thus causes a reaction change.

Return to “Applying Le Chatelier's Principle to Changes in Chemical & Physical Conditions”