Adding Inert Gases

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Hannah_Kim_1I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Adding Inert Gases

Postby Hannah_Kim_1I » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:50 pm

Dr. Lavelle mentioned that increasing pressure by adding inert gases into a reaction would have no effect on the reaction. Is it because although the overall pressure of the container may change, the actual partial pressures of the reactants/products remain the same? I just wanted to make sure my reasoning was correct.

Madilyn Schindler 3E

Re: Adding Inert Gases

Postby Madilyn Schindler 3E » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:56 pm

Yes, you're correct. Adding inert gases doesn't affect the reaction because the partial pressures of the reactants and products remain the same.

Edward Tang 1k

Postby Edward Tang 1k » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:56 pm

Correct. With pv=nRT we know that the only things that would change the partial pressure of a gas are if its number of moles change or the volume changes, given that temperature is constant. Adding an inert gas does neither of those things, therefore it only changes the total pressure but not the partial pressure.

manisha_joseph_1H

Postby manisha_joseph_1H » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:13 pm

Yes, that is correct. Adding an inert gas into a reaction does not change the moles of the products and reactants or the volume encompassed by the container. As such, the concentration of products to reactants does not change, meaning there will be no affect on the reaction and K will remain the same.

Return to “Applying Le Chatelier's Principle to Changes in Chemical & Physical Conditions”