Increasing the Yield of the Product.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jenaye Brelland 2I

Increasing the Yield of the Product.

Postby Jenaye Brelland 2I » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:22 pm

For the chemical reaction N2 (g) + 3H2 (g) = 2NH3 (g), the textbook asks: Without adding more reactants, how would you increase the yield of NH3? The answer was to remove the product. By removing the product, do they mean actually physically removing the product from the reaction, so the forward reaction continues? I am just a little confused on the concept of removing the product to increase its yield. Can someone clarify it?

Ayesha Aslam-Mir 3C

Re: Increasing the Yield of the Product.

Postby Ayesha Aslam-Mir 3C » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:28 pm

This (also) follows Le Cathelier's Principle, but basically if you reduce the amout of product currently available, the equilibrium will tend to make more since there is less available. I had an old teacher that thought of this as a seesaw: when in equilibrium, products and reactants are in line. If you remove the NH3, the seesaw is not balanced, and the NH3 side will be higher than the N2 + 3H2 (bc less), so as the equation tends to equilibrium, it will make more NH3 to make the sides balanced again. Hope that helps!

Also the chem libretexts link ive been dropping on all posts regarding le chatelier's is here: https://chem.libretexts.org/Bookshelves/Physical_and_Theoretical_Chemistry_Textbook_Maps/Supplemental_Modules_(Physical_and_Theoretical_Chemistry)/Equilibria/Le_Chateliers_Principle

rhettfarmer-3H

Postby rhettfarmer-3H » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:37 pm

The Le chandelier principles basically are trying to readjust back to normal. So if you remove the product, then there is an imbalance and it is key to remember there are still reactants. So, we still need to obtain that K ratio value, and the K value is constant. So, the product formation is favored to reach it since we removed the product. Also, I think you are confusing the total amount versus the yield: the yield is talking of the amount of product made. So by removing the product the rate of product production is greater than at equilibrium.

Sonel Raj 3I

Postby Sonel Raj 3I » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:39 pm

I would guess that by removing the product, you're correct in assuming we would have to physically remove the NH3 gas from the system the reaction is taking place in. This would cause equilibrium to be shifted in favor of the products, and would lead to an increase in the yield/production of the NH3 gas, according to Le Chatelier's.

Leo Naylor 2F
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Leo Naylor 2F » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:45 pm

To answer this question in another way, removing the product would reduce the Qc of the reaction, since the concentration of product will decrease. Now that Q is lower than K, the reaction will move in the forward direction until Q = K once again and chemical equilibrium is restored.

Jenaye Brelland 2I

Postby Jenaye Brelland 2I » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:19 pm

Sonel Raj 3I wrote:I would guess that by removing the product, you're correct in assuming we would have to physically remove the NH3 gas from the system the reaction is taking place in. This would cause equilibrium to be shifted in favor of the products, and would lead to an increase in the yield/production of the NH3 gas, according to Le Chatelier's.

Ah okay! I see. So its physically removing the products.

Return to “Applying Le Chatelier's Principle to Changes in Chemical & Physical Conditions”