Change in K (P&T)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Lily Mohtashami

Change in K (P&T)

Postby Lily Mohtashami » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:53 am

So I am a little confused as to whether pressure or temperature affect anything, because the notes say that K does not change but also mention that more products or reactants are created?

Sreeram Kurada 3H

Re: Change in K (P&T)

Postby Sreeram Kurada 3H » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:57 am

The pressure is only important for gases. An increased pressure would favor the side with fewer moles of gases. Whereas temperature affects the equilibrium constant K. I don't know why yet, but he will teach us in the later weeks.

Q Scarborough 1b
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Q Scarborough 1b » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:58 am

Temperature will change the K value, but pressure will not. Pressure can change the concentrations which could shift the reaction to the left or right, but it will not change the K.

Charlotte Adams 1A
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Charlotte Adams 1A » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:02 am

The only thing that will change the equilibrium constant, k, is temperature. However when you increase the pressure by decreasing the volume, the concentration increases and the reaction will thus proceed to the left or right in order to return to equilibrium.

My-Lan Le 1L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby My-Lan Le 1L » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:06 pm

The only thing that will change K is a change in temperature. As for pressure, it does change the concentration, but it changes it proportionally so that K is still the same when you divide the products and reactants. The moles of products and reactants may change with a change in pressure, but the K should calculate out to be the same.

Becca Nelson 3F

Postby Becca Nelson 3F » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:32 pm

The only change to a system that will change the value of K is temperature. Pressure is really changing the number of mols by changing the volume. Therefore, depending on how the mols change, the equilibrium will shift to get back to that constant K. Temperature does not change the number of mols of reactants or products and therefore needs to be approached differently.

Emmeline Phu 1G

Postby Emmeline Phu 1G » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:43 pm

Hi! Temperature and pressure are both physical parameters that can shift the direction of the reaction to get back to equilibrium; however, changing the pressure of the reaction does not change K, but changing the temperature can change K. In terms of pressure, only compressing the system by making the volume smaller (affecting the concentrations) will shift the reaction, but adding inert gas into the system will not. Hope this helps! :)

OwenSumter_2F

Postby OwenSumter_2F » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:59 pm

I think we will also learn more about how temperature affects things in a later chapter!

Justin Lin 1B

Postby Justin Lin 1B » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:47 pm

Temperature will change the K value. For example, if a reaction is endothermic and you heat up the reaction, the forward reaction will be favored and more products will be produced. When looking at how to solve the equilibrium constant (K). More product on the numerator will mean a larger K value. Pressure on the other hand will not change the K value.

Ava Nickman

Postby Ava Nickman » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:11 pm

I believe only temperature can change k

Return to “Applying Le Chatelier's Principle to Changes in Chemical & Physical Conditions”